Bangladesh – PUI is looking for a Humanitarian Expert consultant – Strategic Positioning
Humanitarian Expert Consultant – Strategic positioning
Location: Bangladesh, Cox’s Bazar
Consultant from 15th January until 28 February 2020
Bangladesh has been the second theatre of the Rohingya crisis for more than 30 years. The Muslim minority has faced decades of repression and discrimination in its home country Myanmar/Burma, precisely in the north of Rakhine State, resulting in many of its members seeking refuge in neighboring Bangladesh, in the southern region of Cox’s Bazar. Since the events of the 25th of August 2017, over half a million Rohingyas crossed the border from Myanmar to Bangladesh, making this the world’s fastest developing refugee emergency. These new arrivals are being hosted in camps for registered refugees, but also overcrowded makeshift settlements, including schools, community centers, religious buildings, and with local families. New clusters of settlements have also been set up and continue to expand.
The Rohingya crisis is creating immediate needs for cross-sectorial assistance. Concerns for the newly displaced persons include lack of access to food security and nutrition, need for WASH facilities, shelter, health, psychosocial support (PSS), gender and protection issues and the need for Restoring Family Links (RFL) services .
Our Action in the Field
In reaction of new needs identified in the Sexual and Reproductive sector, PUI has decided to launch as soon as possible a medical assessment in partnership with an NGO to assess the needs that should be addressed, in order to write a proposal in consortium with humanitarian actors (for a start of the project on the 1st of March 2020).
PUI will mandate the consultant to represent PUI in Dhaka and Cox’s Bazar and to provide advice to PUI on the best way to deal with an operational transition to the health sector. S/He will be in charge of developing networks and promoting PUI’s strategy.
Under the direct supervision of the Head of, the main objectives of the Humanitarian Expert Consultant in Bangladesh are the following:
- Ensure with the relevant authorities the proper closing of PUI FD7;
- Support PUI in the closing of its IOM project including support for the audit process;
- Develop a clear analysis of humanitarian needs’ coverage gaps including geographical, sectoral and target communities priorization develop a clear analysis of funding opportunities related to the identified gaps;
- Support the conduction of in-depth technical assessments if required;
- Develop a network of relevant and reliable contacts among the main external stakeholders linked to humanitarian interventions and especialy with NGOAB but also with other Bangladeshi authorities and NGOs, UN agencies, donors, authorities, suppliers…
- Evaluate the relevance and feasibility of the deployment of a PUI intervention in the country and provide linked recommendation and positionning strategy / intervention propositions
Tasks and Responsibilities
- Needs’ Assessment and Strategic positionning: S/he is responsible for the proper analysis of the humanitarian situation in the countries, the identifications of uncovered needs, the suggesting of conduction of in-depth assessments and the drafting of strategic positionning and project concept papers.
- Administration: S/he is responsible to represent PUI and make sure PUI complies with all Bangladeshi administration requirements in due time with the help of PUI lawyer and of the INGO forum.
- Representation: S/he is mandated to represent PUI in its relations with partners, donors and different authorities. S/he builds up a strong and comprehensive network of relevant and reliable external stakeholders. As PUI do not have any office in Dhaka, he ensures as well the role of focal point in Dhaka.
- Relations with Headquarters and with the mission: S/he report to the mission and to the HQ and keep both of them up to date at all time.
- Project management
- Education in Public Health/Political sciences/Law/ other social sciences
- Finance/HR, Logistics and NGO security Management
- 5 years of humanitarian experience in INGO
- Previous experience as Head of Mission or deputy Head of Mission in an INGO
Knowledge and skills:
- Excellent negotiation skills
- Excellent writing skills in Bengali
- Excellent knowledge of Bangladesh administration (Humanitarian and Tax offices) and of Bangladesh banking sector.
- Excellent knowledge of Bangladesh humanitarian context (needs, gaps, actors, and fundings)
Consultant from 15th January until 28 February 2020 (VAT should be paid by the consultant in Bangladesh)
Consultancy price: 3 750 USD
Consultant will provide :
- Transportation inside Bangladesh (with the exception of flight tickets that should be paid by PUI)
- Liability insurance
PUI will provide to the consultant :
- Flight ticket between Dhaka and Cox’s Bazar if needed
- Hotel in Cox’s Bazar if needed
In order to apply
Please contact Amal Huart, Asian Desk Manager: [email protected]
Nous vous conseillons également
«Réfugiée au Bangladesh, j’attends de rentrer dans mon pays»
Fatema vit avec ses deux filles dans le camp de Kutupalong depuis septembre 2018. Elle s’y est habituée mais rêve toujours de retourner dans son pays : le Myanmar.
Apporter eau, hygiène et assainissement aux Rohingya au Bangladesh
Mauricio Tautiva, référent eau, hygiène et assainissement pour Première Urgence Internationale s’est rendu en juillet dernier au Bangladesh dans le camp de réfugiés Rohingya. Plus de 900 000 personnes s’y sont installées.